Scholarships of up to $1000 are available to CS and IS majors who study abroad at an institution of higher learning in another country. The purpose of the scholarship is to provide students with greater opportunities in their study of computer science or information systems.
Students who apply in the winter semester by 5 p.m. of the Friday before Spring Break and who satisfy the eligibility requirements will be considered for a scholarship. The winners will be announced by the end of the winter semester. The scholarship will be given for the following academic year.
These scholarships are made possible by the generous support of contributors to the School of Computing & Information Systems Endowment Fund.
- CS or IS major.
- 45 credit hours completed.
- 14 credit hours in the major completed at GVSU.
- GPA of 3.2 overall or better.
To apply for the School of CIS’ Study Abroad Scholarship, students meeting eligibility requirements listed above must submit an application to https://gvsu.academicworks.com/opportunities/2114 An application containing all of the following:
- A completed application form stating the purposed plan of study. (See the attachment listed below)
- An essay noting reasons for combining your study abroad experience and your acadmic program. The essay must be typewritten and double-spaced (approximately 2 pages).
- An unofficial GVSU transcript brought to/or sent to the School of Computing and Information Systems.
In the evaluation of candidates for a scholarship, all of the above items will be considered, including the quality of the essay and the candidate’s performance in major courses at GVSU.
Breach of Obligation:
Recipient will forfeit/refund the scholarship if travel does not occur in accordance with their application.
By the end of the semester following their study abroad, scholarship recipients are required to submit a report to the CIS Student Affairs Committee. In their report, scholarship recipients should briefly describe their study abroad experience and list the goals in their plan that they successfully realized.