Scholarships of up to $1000 are available. They will be awarded to Computer Science and Information Systems majors to honor those students for their outstanding performance and to encourage them to continue in the field of Computer Science or Information Systems at his/her level of excellence.
These scholarships are made possible by the generous support of contributors to the School of Computing & Information Systems Endowment Fund.
Students who apply in the winter semester by 5 p.m. of the Friday before Spring Break and who satisfy the eligibility requirements will be considered for a scholarship. The winners will be announced by the end of the winter semester. The scholarship will be given for the following academic year.
A student is eligible to apply for a School of Computing & Information Systems Scholarship if the student satisfies all of the following:
- The student must be second-admitted into either the Computer Science or Information Systems major.
- The student must have at least 45 credit hours completed at the time of application.
- The student must have completed at least 14 credit hours in the major (excluding cognates) at Grand Valley State University and be enrolled in at least one course in Computer Science or Information Systems at the time of application.
- The student must be returning to GVSU, as a full-time student, the following fall semester and is expected to take at least one Computer Science or Information Systems course that academic year.
- The student must have an overall GPA of 3.2 or better.
To apply for the School of CIS’ Academic Scholarship, a student meeting eligibility requirements listed above must fill out the online application at https://gvsu.academicworks.com/opportunities/1961 Applications must include all of the following:
- A completed Personal Data form. (See the atachment below)
- An essay explaining the student’s professional goals. The essay must be typewritten and double-spaced (approximately 2 pages).
- In addition, the student must have an unofficial GVSU transcript brought to/or sent to the School of Computing and Information Systems.
In the evaluation of candidates for a scholarship, all of the above items will be considered, including the quality of the essay and the candidate’s performance in major courses at GVSU.