Admission to major standing in Computer Science (CS) or Information Systems (INF) is competitive and requires a secondary application. Transfer students must complete at least six hours of CIS coursework at GVSU before applying and should consult with a CIS advisor before scheduling courses.
Applicants must meet the following minimum criteria to be considered. However, achievement of the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the major.
- overall GPA of 2.5 or above in all GVSU coursework
- completion of each course in the technical core with a grade of "C" or above
- GPA of 2.5 or above in technical core (only one repeat per course allowed)
Technical Core Courses:
The core courses include programming, analytical reasoning, and communication skills.
- Computer Science Major
- Information Systems Major
Steps to Becoming a CS or INF major:
- Step 1:
- Complete the university Major Declaration web form. Declare yourself as a Computer Science or Information Systems major. When the form is received, you will be assigned an advisor from the PCEC Advising Center and notified by email.
- Step 2:
- Meet with a Padnos College of Engineering and Computing advisor, if necessary, to schedule your initial coursework.
- Step 3:
Complete the Secondary Admission Application (login with your EOS user ID and password) once you have completed ALL the technical core courses.
DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE ABOVE MENTIONED COURSES
Note: You will not be allowed to enroll in any upper-level CIS coursework (300 and 400 level) until you have been admitted to the major.
The registration system will allow you to register for a limited number of courses:
For Computer Science majors:
- CIS 251 Computer Organization
- CIS 263 Data Structures and Algorithms
- CIS 353 Database
- CIS 361 System Programming
For Information Systems Majors :
You will be dropped from these courses before the term begins if you have not been admitted to the major.
- For Computer Science majors:
- Step 4:
- The School will review applications the first Friday of every month. You will be contacted by email with the decision.
- Step 5:
- You may schedule upper-level CIS coursework once admitted as a major. Consult with your advisor, if necessary.